Please carefully read through the details of the YMVC Programme below before entering.
The YMVC – Youth Music Video Competition is open to filmmakers between the ages of 18 and 25 working in any style, be it narrative or experimental, live action or animation, or any combination of these.
Ten filmmakers (or pairs of filmmakers) will be selected by the YMVC mentors to participate and create a music video.
Using his extensive knowledge of the Irish music scene and network of musicians, mentor Brendan Canty carefully pairs a track from an up-and-coming musical artist to a participating director based on their style. Briefs are tailor-made for each director, with input from the artists.
The programme mirrors the industry process a professional filmmaker goes through to make a music video. Each filmmaker is paired with a track, given a brief, and then submits a treatment explaining their idea. With ongoing mentoring and support, they direct their music video. The musicians then decide if they want to use it as the official video for their track. Each director gains experience develops their skillset and gets high-quality footage for their reel.
YMVC culminates in a screening at First Cut! Youth Film Festival in 2025 where all the videos are premiered. The Award for Best YMVC Music Video, selected by an expert panel of judges from the music and film industries, is announced and presented at this special event.
- A 2-day workshop in Cork.
- 2 online workshops.
- One-to-one mentorship as needed.
- Each director/team will receive a €1000 stipend for expenses.
- The competition winner will be awarded €5,000 to help kickstart their career.
YMVC is supported by The Arts Council of Ireland and Cork County Council.
The deadline for YMVC 2024 is 5pm on January 19th 2024
To enter, please fill in this form.
Included in this form, you are required to
- Write 200 words telling us about you, your background, and why you want to be a filmmaker.
- Send us a link to your best piece of work to date. We’re looking for your unique voice as a director – submit something that best represents your style and a clear vision.
You must be:
- Aged between 18-25 at the time of application. (It is okay if you turn 26 during the programme).
- Based in Ireland.
- Available to attend the following in-person & virtual workshops:
- In-Person Workshop w/ mentors in Cork City (dates TBA)
- Online workshops (dates TBA)
- Able to attend the YMVC screening at First Cut! Youth Film Festival, at The Regal Cinema, Youghal, Co. Cork.
If applying as a duo, please select one person to be the main contact and to make the application.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org